Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pumpkin Carving

Yesterday, after work I went with Ipolita and her family to Auchan, a large grocery store. It is located in a place called Vesuvio or Volcano Buono, I think, a shopping center shaped to replicate Mount Vesuvius since it is located opposite of the volcano. There is even grass on the outside and you have to go in "the volcano" in order to go shopping. Quite an interesting place. It was a nice mall. We walked around for a bit, stopped at the food court for lunch then headed to the grocery store. We passed many stores along the way that had Christmas already out. One store even had Jingle Bell Rock playing in the background! At the grocery store though, I got a witch's hat for my costume. They had a large selection of halloween things. Then we made it to the wine section. I got a couple of bottles of wine for only 2-3 euro each! Then, I needed to get marshmallows and rice krispies because I am going to make rice krispie treats for the Halloween party at school. As we moved throughout the store, I was excited to see all the things they had. They had Mexican food, Indian spices, American chocolate (Twix, KitKat, Crunch, M&Ms, and more). They even had sweet potatoes! After I did a little damage to the "card" and a cart full of goodies, we headed home. But, not before we stopped and played our numbers. When we checked out of the grocery store, they gave us lotto numbers. They were apparently our lucky numbers. So I played 1 Euro and we waited 5 minutes to see if we won. Ipolita and I each won two numbers therefore winning our 1 Euro back! Well we got to play without having to pay essentially. Afterwards,  I went back to their house to carve pumpkins.

You can tell which pumpkin I carved...The less artistic one on the left :) 



Today, we will make pumpkin pies and a pumpkin cheesecake. They don't have canned pumpkin like we do in America so they figure we might as well use the pumpkins we carve and make some goodies! I will post those pictures after we make them today!