Sunday, October 9, 2011

Delicious Food!

The other night, I made the best tomato sauce ever! I have been trying for years to perfect it but have never been successful. I mean the sauce always tastes good but I could never make it taste like the sauce I have had many times in Italy. So the other night, I did it. I can't take complete credit for it, obviously. I mean the ingredients play a HUGE factor! So I ultimately give the credit to Italy. It's soil and crops are just fabulous and taste exquisite!
The Delicious Tomato Sauce


So, I am sure you all want to know what I did to make this amazing sauce. I first, opened a bottle of tomato puree, pure tomato, nothing else. I poured some into the pot. I tasted and it tasted a little bitter. I know in Sicily my relatives added sugar to the sauce, but I didn't have any sugar so I told myself it would be a little bitter, oh well. Then I thought about adding some other vegetables to the sauce just to give it more substance. I decided to add a small onion and a clove of garlic. I sautéed the onion and garlic in some olive oil in another pan. Once they were tender, I added it to the tomato puree. Then I threw a hand full of fresh basil roughly chopped into the sauce, followed by salt and pepper. I let it cook for about 10 minutes, maybe less. My apartment didn't come with any lids to the pots in the kitchen so after 10 minutes of the sauce splattering every where, I decided to shut it off and let it finish cooking without any heat. In the mean time, I was cooking the pasta. The sauce ended up sitting by itself without any heat for an additional 10 minutes. I didn't taste the sauce I just added it to the cooked pasta. I put some pecorino romano shavings on the pasta and sat down. I took one bite and went to heaven! :) I thought oh my goodness! This is the best sauce I have ever made! Finally, I have done it! But, I brought myself back to reality shortly after and reminded myself that it was probably the ingredients. It was delizioso!

I thought I would post some of the other food items I have made or eaten since I have been here since some of you don't have Facebook so you can't see all my pictures that I have posted. 

Pesto (don't worry I didn't eat all of this in one sitting!)




Just my normal veggie dish- Potatoes, Onions, Garlic, and Eggplant
I have also had wonderful ricotta and buffalo mozzarella that I think were amazing but I was told that there are others, which are even better! I can't even imagine! I also went out one night to Naples with friends and had Neapolitan pizza and crocchè (a fried oval shaped ball of mashed potatoes and cheese). They were both delicious!

Overall, I have been eating very well! I can't say I haven't eaten anything that I don't like! Everything is delicious!