Sunday, October 9, 2011

Waking up to church bells...

I woke up to church bells ringing. Such a relaxing way to wake up, even though shortly after you hear car horns beeping bringing you back to reality. Church bells comfort me when they ring. They are a symbol of my culture and I feel at home. When I was in Turkey, I constantly heard the call to prayer over the loud speakers. At first, they freaked me out then I finally tuned them out. But, they don't bring comfort to me like church bells. I've been told that some people actually found comfort in the call to prayer but it never had that effect on me. Church bells have a soft and soothing sound to them, a melody that calms me.

I wouldn't consider myself very religious. I hardly go to church in America mostly for political reasons. I feel the Catholic church has too many rules and that God doesn't care if you kneel at this moment, say a certain word, dress a certain way, etc. In America, especially, I always get upset at church and don't go because it stresses me out and I'd rather have a one on one relationship than go to church. In Italy, and other countries around the world, I feel comforted when I go into church. The rules are laid back, at least what I've noticed, and you get to appreciate art and beauty when you walk into a church. Most Italians don't go to church every sunday either. Only in America, there is a significant population that attend mass regularly.

On that note, I am going to church today. Again, it comforts me and I know I can go if I want to, unlike in Turkey, where it was hard for me to find a church. It gives me a place and time to think and reflect, especially since I can't understand Italian completely and I need something to do while the priest is talking :)

I wish you all a wonderful Sunday.