Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Random Thoughts..

I thought I would share my random thoughts for the day.

After we went to the market, I took a nap since I didn't get much sleep during the night. When I woke we ate lunch. We had spaghetti and tomato sauce. I thought to myself, "the entire world knows what spaghetti is and loves it!" After we had lunch we went to Balestrate to get my birth certificate but the office wasn't open. While we were there we thought we would possibly visit a few relatives. It turns out that they weren't home or we couldn't find their house but we attempted. But, what amazed me was that you can get out of your car, go inside a flower shop and ask for a person's name and they will tell you that person's life story. Amazing!

Later in the day, we went to the "dolce" store. They sold items that I would normally find in a cake shop in America. On the way to the store, my relative kept saying something and followed it with "Halloween." I asked if they celebrate Halloween and she said yes to trick or treating and dressing up in a costume. I am actually looking forward to Halloween now! I didn't think they celebrated it the way we do in America.

After we went home and made the dessert that we bought from the "dolce" store. We went to a friend's house for dinner. We had chicken curry for the first course. The curry was sweet. It had fruit in it, such as, bananas, raisins, and peaches. I never had chicken curry prepared that way before but it was delicious!

As we were eating, the wine was pulled out. Of course, I had to have some. My first wine since I've been in Italy. What I noticed though was that they pour a little wine in a glass and drink it within one or two gulps. Then pour it again and do the same thing over again. I can see how that could be dangerous but some of them stop after the first "shot." I had my glass filled but I drank it slowly. I wanted to savor the taste. I tried drinking it quickly but I didn't taste anything, so I continued to drink slowly.

My last random thought was when I looked at the refrigerator of the friend's house. I saw a grocery list. Yes, you might say, so what it is a grocery list. But, it wasn't just a grocery list. It was a grocery list written by my grandpa. It was his exact handwriting. I had never seen it anywhere else. I was shocked. I kept looking at it. The lines and curves of the handwriting were identical to his. I always wondered where he got that fancy handwriting. I thought it was America but I was wrong. I am now giving credit to Sicily. It again was one of those small signs shining light onto my past.