Monday, September 26, 2011

The beginning of the adjustment period..

I am now thanks to my grandfather an Italian and American citizen but culturally I will associate with the American way of life. It is what I have known for 24+ years. I have been in Italy many times so I know what to expect but every time I have to get readjusted. It started yesterday. Well the part where I realized that I wasn't in America anymore.

I went out with my cousins to a nearby town and I was walking fast. My cousin said "Why are you walking fast." I said because I am an American. We do everything fast, eat, walk, talk, etc. So after she caught me I tried to slow down. Then today, I went with my other cousin to the market. The market itself was a reminder that I wasn't in America but again the slow pace was prevalent.

First, they walk slow. It's their way of life. They do things slow, which in many ways I think is great. So we are walking slow towards the market and walking in the middle of the road. I was always taught to stay away from danger but here its what they do. I prefer the sidewalks. Then cars come and we are in the middle of the road, so what do we do? We move slowly to the side of the road. Again, if I see a car coming at me I try to move quickly out of their way, but again, no. We finally make it to the market. There are people everywhere. They are all trying to move but can't because people stop, walk slowly and the process continues.

The market itself was quite interesting. I have come to terms with the fact that I really do not like the markets. There are lots of people pushing and shoving. I like to shop in peace and quiet. Shopping is very therapeutic for me but not when I feel claustrophobic. The venders were quite entertaining as well. All of a sudden you jump through the roof because someone is yelling trying to get business, another is joking and laughing with customers, and another is throwing clothes on the table trying to show his beautiful clothing. It is a great place to people watch except for the pushing and shoving. I also noticed the effects of the recent turmoil in Northern Africa. There are many Northern Africans in Sicily. There were many vendors and families at the market.

Overall, it was an experience. I have realized that I need to slow down. Life doesn't need to go by fast so stop every now and then and smell the flowers. I will however continue to stay out of danger. I saw too many lives taken by cars in Turkey. I do not need to be one of them. I will walk on the sidewalks and move quickly if a car is coming.