Sunday, February 26, 2012

New Adventures in Napoli

A few days ago, I was in class and my students were asking what I was going to do this weekend. I told them that I had no plans so one of my students suggested that I go with him to Napoli since they know I don’t know Napoli well.

So Friday evening, I went with my student to Napoli. We went to a play that was being directed by his friend. It was held in a church, but with the stage you couldn’t even tell you were in a church. I was concerned that maybe I wouldn’t understand but fortunately I was able to understand based on my little Italian and their wonderful acting. It was a comedy. There were only 3 actors; two guys who were very funny playing the parts of a journalist and the journalist’s brother, then a woman who was playing the part of an American girl living in Napoli. From what I could understand the journalist had writer’s block and was procrastinating in writing whatever he needed to write. Then he met the American girl and fell in love with her even though she had no interest in him. Throughout the play, there was music, mostly classic American songs. It was fun to watch them sing, dance and act to them. There was even a scene with the Beauty and the Beast’s “Be Our Guest.” It was quite comical. I also learned new phrases for example “Fai Schifo,” which means you are disgusting! I enjoyed the play very much and it goes to prove that I can probably go to the cinema and understand at least the gist of it!

After the play we went to meet up with my student’s friends. But before we met up with them we had to find a parking spot. Parking in Napoli is horrendous! After driving around and passing the Maschio Angioino castle, the Galleria Umberto, and the San Carlo Theater, he drove to a parking garage. I was shocked to see a parking garage in the middle of historic Naples. In fact, my student told me that they built the parking garage out of the historic structure that was previously there. After he started driving up the garage I noticed that it was unlike any parking garage I have ever been in before. First, the parking spaces were creatively placed amongst curves and concaves and not in rows like other parking garages. I felt like it was a cave. Second, I started to hear music. I asked where the music was coming from and my student told me that it was in the parking garage. Amazing, a parking garage that plays dance music. We got out of the car and headed for the exit. But the exit was still nowhere to be seen. Instead we stumbled upon a party. A party in the parking garage! They can’t even wait to get out of the parking garage to start partying! But really, it was a nice party, people were dressed to the hills and there was catering. A private party was held in the parking garage! And, the phrase “ogni giorno รจ una festa” was used once again. The parking garage was definitely a highlight of my evening!

The party!
We left the parking garage and headed to the popular hang out area filled with chic bars. I had fun people watching. It’s good to know that everyone is the same, except I have noticed lately in general that I have never seen so many Italian noses concentrated and in one place before. I am in Italy after all! It's just nice to know I'm not the odd one anymore :)

After awhile we left to meet his friends. We went to the coast to a famous pastry shop known for their cornetti (croissants). I had a chocolate cornetto. I had fun speaking with my student’s friends and even got invited to go dancing with them sometime!

Overall it was a good evening and I had fun learning more about Napoli. Thank you!