Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Finally knowing my way around...

I have been meaning to write this post for awhile but kept forgetting. So I will write it now. As some of you know I teach a group class at a factory in Italy. I don't know if I am supposed to say where so I won't say it at all.

Anyways, I have been coming there since October/November. I have to always go through security first and get my bright yellow vest that says Visitor (in Italian though). The security people never could remember who I was until about a month ago. The guys started asking me questions and trying to speak to me in Italian. I tried to speak and understand as much as I could. The next time I came through security, I was waiting in line and I hear a guy say Hey Michigan. I looked and thought huh? Then I remembered I told them I was from Michigan. Again, they tried speaking to me but I was in a rush and needed to go. Yesterday, another buddy at security saw me and waved to me from the office. I was standing behind 6 or 7 people. He motioned to me so I handed him my passport. He said no. So I went back in line then he motioned again and said No, go to the front! Ok, no problem for me except the looks on the faces of the 6 or 7 guys now behind me was priceless. It's nice to finally have connections :)

Once I pass through security, I walk to the classroom. The classroom is usually locked so I have to go to another office to get the key. In the beginning, I had to explain my situation and ask for the key. They would get up and stop whatever they were doing to get the key for me. Now, I walk into the room, ask for the key, heads turn then go back to whatever they were doing and I get the key myself. I have become part of them and I am no longer a guest or visitor. :)

In the classroom, my students make the class time go by fast. In addition to the classwork we do, I also learn about the factory and hear many stories from my students. They also like to make fun of me but in a joking manner; they are all comedians. I always laugh at some point in the lesson because of something they said or did. For example, yesterday I was serenaded by three of my students. They were singing random songs that they remembered after something we talked about in the lesson. Some of the songs were funny so I would just bust out laughing. It is always a joy to go to class. Laughter is important because it is a stress reliever. I think having laughter in class helps everyone in the long run.

Overall, it is a fun experience working here. I am also learning my way around and people are recognizing me!