Sunday, February 12, 2012

My first trip to an Italian Beauty Salon

Yesterday, I went to the beauty salon. It felt weird going into a beauty salon and not seeing my cousin, Kim. I always get my hair cut by my cousin. But, my hair was getting too long and since my cousin was located thousands of miles away, I broke down and got my hair cut in Italy.

It was a fun experience. I walked in and a woman came up to me and said, "Do you want a coffee?" Apparently, the word had traveled fast that I spoke English. :) I thanked her but declined. Lately, I've been drinking too much coffee and my body is reacting to it, so I am trying to quit. I sat next to Ipolita and waited until it was my turn. It was a day at the salon for all the girls.

The owner then said to me "Come on" and motioned me to go into the room to get my hair washed. The person that would wash my hair was a young boy, maybe 13-14 years old. He was speaking to me in Italian and I tried to understand but after a lot of hand motioning and pointing, I figured out he wanted to put the towel on my shoulders. Then he washed my hair as I watched MTV on the TV. It was the first time I had heard some of the new popular songs in America. I lose track of the new songs by not being in America. After he finished washing my hair, he brought me to a station and brushed my hair. I found out afterwards that he is of no relation to the owner but probably doing an apprenticeship and learning the trade of doing hair.

Also, while I was getting my hair washed Ipolita's cousin came into the salon to get a wash and set. It is very common here for women to come just for a wash and set, they like being pampered, I'm told. :)

After my hair was brushed then the owner came and cut my hair. I had Ipolita do the translation of what I wanted done to my hair otherwise who knows what I would have come out looking like afterwards. The owner was born in America but moved shortly after back to Italy. He could speak a little English but it was good to have Ipolita there just to be sure.

Also, while my hair was being cut, some of the other women who worked there asked me about the status of the Bold and the Beautiful. Apparently, the tv shows from America arrive in Italy 6 months after it airs in America. So, as soon as they knew I was from America they had to ask the important question, what happens on the soap operas?! Of course, I don't watch soap operas, so I have no idea. I told them I would ask around or look it up for them and get back to them with the important information. :)

After he cut my hair, the woman who asked me if I wanted coffee, dried my hair and styled it. They asked if I wanted it straight or volume. Of course, I chose volume because my mother always tells me I need more height on my head...And this is what I came out looking like:


It was a successful trip to the beauty salon.