Saturday, December 17, 2011

Things that come with being a resident....

Exactly one day after I received my first Christmas gift in the mail, I received another letter from the city of Acerra. I opened the envelope and looked at the piece of paper. I had to fill out and complete the piece of paper. But, since my Italian isn't good in terms of official government purposes, I had no idea what it was about. I took it to school and had Ipolita and her husband look at it. Sure enough, the form was for me to start paying garbage tax.

I find it funny because the government no matter where you are usually takes a long time to get things done. But when it comes to money, they are always right there ready to collect. I figure big deal if I have to pay a garbage tax. 1. It is an issue in the Naples area and I would like to help stop it and 2. I get free health care. If I had to pay health care in America it would cost much more. I can handle a garbage tax. :)

There is joke now because I used to throw my garbage in a bin out on the street. But, the city got rid of the bin and instead gave homeowners bins to throw their garbage and recyclable in. So it has been a question for the past few weeks of where do I throw my garbage. Now, that I have to pay a garbage tax, I said that I better get garbage and recyclable bins for myself!

Never a dull moment! :) But you must remember "ogni giorno è una festa" Every day is a party!