Monday, December 5, 2011

Planet Funk! 2.12.11

I wanted to write about my day on December 2nd. It was a great day! ;) I helped decorate the Christmas tree at school, listen to Christmas music and go to a concert! :)

My friend, Simona, reminded me that there was a concert on December 2nd. I saw the announcement earlier in October and told her I wanted to go! Planet Funk for those of you who don't know who they are (mostly people in the United States), they are a Neapolitan band but have an English singer. They play electronic/dance music. I first heard about them in 2009 from an Italian friend. I have never heard their songs play in the USA so I doubt any of you have ever heard of them. Anyways, I suggest you search them online and listen to their songs.

Our night started when Simona picked me up at 9:25pm. Then we went to her house to wait for her friends who were going to pick us up. They picked us up and we headed to Napoli. We arrived at the concert around 10:45/11:00, even though the concert was supposed to start at 10:00pm. We bought our tickets there and so I wasn't sure what to expect. The venue apparently was an ice skating rink turned venue. It was an open space with the stage at one end and the main entrance at the other end. There were many people but no one was standing like a concert was going to start anytime soon. We made our way very easily actually to the front where the stage was. The concert started when we had thought, around midnight. They played all the songs I knew and more! The band was great and I had a great time! There were a few instances when drunk people would start falling and pushing therefore creating a domino effect. Fortunately, Simona's friends were two guys who were taller than us and they stood behind us and tried to block the pushing. We had our own personal body guards! The crowd overall seemed more enthusiastic than American concerts. The people were jumping, dancing, singing, and waving. It was great to see! The concert ended around 1:40am.

Afterwards, one of Simona's friends said that he thought it would be better if we waited a few minutes. I thought since we were at the front by the stage it would be better to wait to let most of the people leave first then we would go but.... instead, the concert became a nightclub. They started playing house music and so a few of us started dancing. Then more people came out and even more. It was awesome. A concert turned nightclub! I like this method! Another thing I liked was that all the guys were dancing. In America, I think less guys dance. You can see mostly girls out on the dance floor but in Italy every guy dances! :) After about 1 hour of dancing to house music, which I love, we headed home. I noticed though that I can tell I am Italian...Everyone loves to dance and a majority like to dance to the same type of music that I like!

I arrived home at 3:17am! I was asleep by 3:30. I set my alarm for 7:30am because I had to work in the morning. I didn't have to work until 9:30 but I needed to do a lot of things before I went to work....

It was a great day/night! I had a great time at my first Italian concert! :)