Sunday, December 18, 2011

Some random discussions from class...

A week or so ago, I remember discussing a topic from the book with a student. It was about a couple who were originally from Spanish speaking countries that lived in the UK. They had two children who were born and raised in the UK. The question given to the mother was if her children truly identified as being 100% British since neither one of their parents were British. The mother said no and that it could be a problem because they don't really identify themselves as being 100% of one thing.

I thought about the question in regards to my life and my situation now. It made sense. When I was growing up I always identified myself as being American because I was in America, my family was there, and I spoke English. But as I grew up I also felt like there was something else to my identity. My father's family has been in America since the 1700 and 1800s. Whereas, my mother's family has only been in America since around the 1920s. As I grew up, my mother shared with me and let me experience traditions that her mother and grandmother shared with her. She shared stories, recipes, and cultural traditions of the Italian/Sicilian way of life. I loved learning the traditions. I wanted to learn the language and visit the place where our family came from.

My mother brought me to Italy for the first time in 2000, I was 13 years old. As soon as I arrived, I felt a connection with the land, people, and food. Ever since then I have returned to Italy 8 times. I love it! A year and a half ago when I received my Italian passport I felt like I was given part of my identity. And now, being in Italy and living the dream, I feel as if I now know what I was missing when I was growing up. My identity is complete. I knew I wasn't 100% American. And now I have finally found the missing piece of the puzzle. I feel like I can understand the situation the family in the book is going through. Those children will never feel 100% British because their parents are not British. They will have to learn and visit where their parents are from to fully be able to identify themselves. I have done this and feel no longer as just an American but an Italian American.

Another discussion we had in class the other day was regarding the sound of language. My students asked me if I like the sound of Italian. They said that since they speak it they can't fully appreciate the sound and rhythm of their language. I told them that I love Italian. I told them that it is a romantic language and flows beautifully (most of the time)! I asked them about English. Does it sound pretty? I never thought about my native tongue. They said that they enjoy it and like speaking it but I never got a straight answer if it is pretty or beautiful. I'm still thinking about it. I don't know what it sounds like. It sounds like English to me :) Does anyone have any thoughts?

I start a new week and my last week tomorrow before the Christmas holidays. I should have fun! There are lots of parties planned and I love seeing children's faces (and adults!) when they talk about Christmas!