Tuesday, December 13, 2011

It's official. :)

It's official. I have participated in my first "ogni giorno è una festa" in Italy.

Tonight, I attended a birthday party for a 4 year old. The birthday girl is the daughter of Ipolita's cousin. Apparently her cousin insisted that I attend the party making me part of the family! :) There were a good number of people at the party. There were mostly adults and five girls who seemed to get along quite fine. When it came time for the cake, Ipolita's cousin came to me and spoke to me in Italian. She told me I was in charge of taking pictures. I don't know how or why but somehow I always end up taking pictures or video. If any of you are in my immediate family you know this is true. So here we have the American who only speaks English, who is of no relation technically standing front and center with the best view in the house taking all the pictures. And of course, being the photographer that I am, I count 1, 2, 3, then SMILE, and CHEESE (all in English at an Italian Birthday Party!).

After blowing out the candles, pouring the champagne and cutting the cake, everyone went outside. We didn't know why. Then I understood. I ran up those steps like I was the birthday girl! I wanted to see and take pictures of course! Sure enough, there it was. THE FIREWORKS! (And, I am not talking about Michigan fireworks, I am talking about Indiana fireworks, the works!) I hear them every night from my apartment and now I have officially witnessed and took part in the festivities. Definitely a historical moment. :) As we were standing there watching the fireworks, Ipolita's other cousin said to me "Ogni giorno è una festa!" I said, SI SI SI!!!! :)

After the fireworks, I came back inside and finished my cake and drank my bubbly. :) I put the camera away and enjoyed being "the American." One of the little girls kept looking at me all night. I could tell she wanted to speak to me because I spoke English but was too shy to speak. She finally got the courage and said, "How old are you?" I replied, "You do speak English!" "I am 24 years old." She tried conversing a little more. Then her neighbor who was the aunt of the birthday girl was trying to ask me questions in Italian. I understood for the most part and was able to converse with her. The little girl was still wanting to know more about "the American." She asked me to say a phrase in English....I totally understand and feel sympathetic to foreigners in America. In America, we constantly ask people to speak their native tongue just to hear the melody and rhythm of a different language. And now, she is asking me to do the same thing. No problem. I tell her more about myself. Then she asks me how to say something in English. She wanted the translation to "your hair is pretty." For anyone who knows me, you know that being beautiful and fashion conscious is definitely not first on my priority list when I walk out the door in the morning. All I do is blow dry my hair, brush it and walk out the door. But it looks pretty to a 9 year old and I guess that is all that matters :)

Whew! What a night! I mean between the fireworks, photography, and having pretty hair, I definitely had a taste of being a true Italian! If any of you read my post a few days ago, you can remember how I defined "ogni giorno è una festa." 1. Fireworks 2. Being dressed for a party (or having pretty hair) 3. Eating a lot of food 4. Everyone is family (I just added this one in honor of tonight) and 5. Everyone is happy and celebrating something!

 Here's to OGNI GIORNO è UNA FESTA! :)