Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Shopping and a visit from SANTA!

Yesterday afternoon, I went with Ipolita and her family to a mall. This was my first time to this particular mall. It was much larger than the other malls I had been to in the area. I felt like I was in a real American mall! As soon as we walked into the mall, we arrived at the food court, but in the center there was something familiar. A huge platform decorated like Christmas and an "elf" with a  camera. Sure enough, Santa was there! Or as they say in Italy, Babbo Natale. This Santa Claus was probably more Babbo Natale than Santa Claus since he was definitely Italian :)  The girls wanted a picture with Santa so we waited until their turn. As I sat next to the "elf" taking the pictures, I watched as each child took their turn to see Santa Claus. There were the very young children who were afraid of Santa, the older kids who jumped into Santa's sleigh to sit next to him, the babies who screamed and cried because they didn't know this man with a long white beard, and finally, the kids who jumped in the sleigh with Santa and immediately started having a conversation with him. I am sure they were telling him what they wanted for Christmas. They were conversing so long that the photographer kept trying to tell them to turn and smile but Santa and the boy just kept talking. It made me smile :) The beauty of children at Christmas time.

Afterwards, we continued to make our way through the store. Our first stop, The Disney Store. :) Disney is definitely everywhere. I was tempted to buy something but thought that in a few days I will be at Disney World so what is the point. I enjoyed watching the children's faces at all the Disney products though. I love Disney and am glad to see others do too! :)

We went into some other stores looking for presents for Ipolita's family. Then we came to H&M. I wasn't going to buy anything for myself....who are we kidding here, I always buy myself Christmas presents :) I needed a black winter coat and I looked at H&M a few weeks ago at another mall and none of the coats fit me right. So I just thought I would try one on and see how if it would fit and what it looked like. I put it on and looked in the mirror and loved it. So I bought it :) It was the first one I saw and the first one I tried on. I love when shopping is that easy! I feel much more fulfilled in life after shopping :)

After we went into a bookstore. I wanted to try to find some children's books to bring to America for my cousins. It took a long time. I felt like we were in that store forever! But that is what happens when I am in a bookstore. I have to look at everything. I love books! I wanted to get many things but books are always so expensive! Anyways, we made our purchases and headed for the next store.

BUT, on the way to the next store we passed THE APPLE STORE! You don't know how excited I got. I definitely felt like I was back in America when I saw it. For those of you who know me, I love Apple. I remember asking the store back home before I left if they knew of any Apple Stores in Italy and they told me that there would be a store for repairs and things but only one and in Rome. And, here it was! Not in Rome but only 15 minutes from where I live! I told Ipolita I was happy because now I have Apple 15 minutes away and Ikea 15 minutes away but in another direction! I am so close to civilization! ;) More so than even in America. I lived 3 hours from Ikea and 1 hour from Apple back home. After I controlled my excitement we continued to the next store.

We looked in an few shops for things. Ipolita got a few more gifts. We were in one store and Ipolita was paying. The guy starts speaking to her in English. I was impressed because also when we were at H&M the cashier spoke English to us. They apparently heard us speaking and therefore spoke English back to us.

We went into the big shopping center last (like our Meijer, super Walmart, etc). It was a French chain but  had the same things as every other store. I got a few more presents and food items for myself and then we headed home.

Earlier, and on our way out we saw the Christmas tree and a sand sculpture in progress. Ipolita thought it was interesting they were using sand and not ice. But I assume they probably feel Southern Italy is in the Tropics compared to the North. They were sculpting what looked like the Nativity. It was very nice!

On our way home, we passed many homes with lights on their balconies. They don't have space like in America so people decorate the balconies. It is still pretty and fun to see how people decorate their homes.




The sand Nativity. You can see the animals, three wise men and the angel. I think inside the angel they will have the holy family. 

Overall, it was a successful day of shopping :) We saw the Italian Santa Claus, many stores, a sand Nativity, and many people shopping! And, I came home with presents!