Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween 2012!

Happy Halloween Everyone!

I hope you are all having a spook-tacular day today!

I wanted to share with you the past few days and today!

On Sunday, we carved pumpkins. I let Ipolita's daughters design the pumpkin and I assisted with the carving. It was fun! We cut, scraped and dug out the "meat" of the pumpkin for pumpkin pies. Pumpkin doesn't come in a can like it does in America, so Ipolita takes advantage of the situation and makes the pies a few weeks early. These are Italian Jack O'Lanterns before and after.




Monday was my friend's birthday...This was the feast! :)

Naples fans love their team!


On Tuesday, I went to Ipolita's house to help her with the pumpkin pies. Before we started on the pies she prepared lunch. Pasta with pumpkin! Delicous! :) 


And today, Halloween! 


One of the many pumpkin pies!



Ipolita's Trick or Treat bag


Today, we had a good party. We had pumpkin pies, cakes, cookies, potato chips, popcorn, brownies and cupcakes. I had a great dinner :) For the last half of the party, we watched Hocus Pocus. I think the students enjoyed it and I hope they understood most of it. I learned something though, salt is also used greatly in Neapolitan homes. In the movie, they used salt to protect themselves from the witches. And, in Naples they use it to protect their homes against evil. Neapolitans are very superstitious and many people have the salt on a shelf near their front door for protection. Now, I will need to look up the history on salt and superstitions.

Anyways, I had a good Halloween. The weather made me feel right at home too! It has been rainy and cold just like a typical Halloween day in Michigan. Now on to Christmas.... :) 

Happy Halloween! Happy All Saints Day and Souls Day as well! I get both days off...heading north tomorrow! More adventures to come!!!