Sunday, October 21, 2012

Friends, Football, Family and Food

This weekend I managed to incorporate the four Fs; Friends, Family, Football, and Food. :) What a great combination, right!? 

Yesterday, I was invited to watch the BIG match between Naples and Juventus with some friends. It was a BIG match because it was the first time this season that the rivals would compete against each other. The tension is very intense between these two teams. The entire week prior my students were telling me how important the match was and were giving the students who weren't Naples fans a hard time...

Well I will tell you that the outcome was not a happy one for the Naples Team. But I did enjoy seeing my friends and hanging out with them. I was told I was missed, I looked slim, and had a nice conversation with my friend's step dad. The step dad is usually quiet and doesn't talk to me but he sought me out and wanted to speak to me. He informed me that his father spoke English, actually American. He said that his father would translate during the war and even knew Eisenhower. He said he even had a photograph with him. :) I was fascinated to hear this. He also told me that after the war in 1945, his father was given goods from the Americans such as chocolate and other delicacies every day. He liked the Americans, I think. :) 

He also told me a joke. He told me about the time an American came to Naples. There was a Neapolitan giving the American a tour. He said that Neapolitan pointed out the small narrow streets in Naples, the old town, the markets, etc. They passed by a fruit market and the American was curious. The American asked the Neapolitan what a particular fruit was. It was apparently a typical apple from the Campania region. The American then informed the Neapolitan that in America the apples are much larger. The Neapolitan brushed it off and continued walking. They stopped at another store and the American asked about a pear. The Neapolitan told the American that it was a typical pear from the region. The American again said that pears in America are much larger. The Neapolitan thought to himself and continued walking. This time the American asked about a watermelon. The Neapolitan informed the American that it was a Neapolitan pea...and that shut up the American. :) 

I must admit that even though most things are larger in America, it doesn't necessarily mean it always tastes better. In Italy, everything tastes great! :) 

On Sunday, I went to Ipolita's mother in-law's house for her birthday. This is what she prepared for lunch: 

homemade pasta

bruschetta

salami and cheese

rolls with ham and cheese inside

homemade pasta with chickpeas

baked pasta for those who didn't like pasta with chickpeas

Grilling the meat


olives

fruit

Dried Fruit- walnuts

Picking pomegranates for the first time!

pomegranates

Pomegranates we picked

dessert

cake

the Birthday cake

Pomegranates 

Overall, it was a good weekend and I had didn't have a problem eating again :) Great memories with friends and my adopted family :)