Sunday, October 28, 2012

An eventful week!

This past week has been an interesting one and fun one for that matter.

It started on Monday. One of my classes on Monday night brought homemade chocolate cake and tiramisu for another student's onomastico (name day). We can always have a party! :) The student who brought the tiramisu actually thought that it was my birthday so he wanted to make it special for the teacher. He, a 14/15 year old, made the tiramisu by himself and brought candles as well! I informed him that my birthday was in April and that he can make me tiramisu then! :) It was cute. We shared the left over cake with the other classes so the whole school was celebrating!

The chocolate cake

Tiramisu
My dinner :) 

Then on Tuesday in my adult class, we got on the topic of American vs Italian politics. It was an interesting one at least. Of course, I enjoy politics so I enjoyed the class immensely. I think the students found it quite interesting as well since they kept asking questions!

On Wednesday, I went to Naples for the annual Trinity conference/workshop for teachers. I realized how much I had grown since a year ago. I went from being the uninformed, clueless person to the expert. Not in terms of the conference but in terms of living life in Italy. I was so nervous last year as to how I would get the train and find the hotel where the conference was being held. But this year, I didn't plan and just winged it. I now know the train system so I had no problems or worries. I made it to the hotel with plenty of time to spare and instead decided to wander around until the conference started. I went back towards the train station, treated myself to a sfogliatella for breakfast and then proceeded to the English section of the bookstore. I browsed the books until I came to one I wanted to buy. Then I went to the counter where I presented my bookshop membership card and purchased my book. It felt good treating myself. I should do this more often :)

I went to the conference and listened to the moderators. Nothing new since last year. Since I had gotten up extra early to go to the conference I decided to leave after the first half. I knew I had to leave early since I had to go to work so it made sense to leave when I did. As I was entering the train station, I saw a train leaving in 2 minutes. I still had to buy my ticket and saw the huge line at the tobacco shop. I thought, "oh well, I'll catch the next one even if it isn't for another hour." After I bought my ticket, I looked again and the train was still there, so I ran to the platform and jumped on the train. It was my lucky day! I got home and managed to take a nap before work. :)

On Thursday, I was told that I looked slim from the lady where I pay rent, always a good way to start your day. Then in the evening, I went out with a couple of students. We went to a lounge/bar and chatted for what seemed like hours. I think we had a good time :)

Our beverages...while we chatted all evening!
On Friday, I read my new book all day! I went to work, came home and finished it. I have to learn to read slower! I read these books too fast! Now I need to buy a new book! :)

On Saturday, I had a couple of lessons in the morning and then had lunch with Ipolita. We had thunderstorms all day and night. I stayed home and made vegetable soup for dinner and watched a movie. I went to bed knowing that I would get an extra hour of sleep since Italy changed its clocks last night!


It is now Sunday and I am trying to get moving. I will be joining Ipolita for lunch, followed by pumpkin carving, I believe. Will post pictures later! Have a good Sunday everyone!