Sunday, April 29, 2012

A trip to the market

Today, I went to the market with Imma. We went to a large market located somewhere in Naples. I have no idea where though. We walked through the gates of the market and Imma told me the game plan. We were to start at one row and then go up and down through all of them. But, there were a lot of rows and sure enough we did go through it all! : ) We started down one row and looked at some dresses. Immediately, I heard someone screaming but he wasn't screaming he was talking very loud trying to get people's attention to come to his booth. This particular guy was informing the public that all the dresses were only ten euro, that it is the best stuff China has to offer and "please, no pickpocketing, thank you." :)
Almost every stand had a guy screaming/talking really loud advertising. It would catch you off guard if you weren't paying attention. A few of the guys reminded me of the auction guys who keep track of the price, it was really fast paced speaking!

We went to a few booths and I found a pair of shoes I liked/needed. I tried them on, they fit, I bought them. I shop fast what can I say. Imma on the other hand didn't find her pair of shoes until the last row of the market. She confessed to me that she wished she was able to shop like I do and make a quick decision.

We continued to walk and as we walked passed each booth I saw the new fashion appearing everywhere. The new fashion in Italy is the American/UK flag. It is everywhere! It is on shoes, scarves, t-shirts, dresses, earrings, pants, etc. I can't get away from it! No, I'm not saying I don't like it, I just find it funny that the American flag is so popular here. I keep telling myself that I think I need to make a few purchases of the americana apparel and wear it for the 4th of July. The tags will say "Made in Italy" but the shirt will have a picture of the American flag....oh well! ;)



As we walked through the booths, it was common to bump into people since it was very crowded.
Naturally and instinctively, I said "I'm sorry" in Italian. I realized though that no one else said anything. I was the only one speaking about the issue. I told myself that this is the norm and not to apologize every second.

We also went to a beach apparel and accessories booth. Immediately both Imma and I started trying on hats. We ended up both getting one. Now we need to go to the beach so we can wear our hats together for the second time, since we wore them in the car on the way home. Yes, we did get a few looks our way :)

Overall, it was good to get out and soak up some sun while shopping. I made a few purchases which is an added bonus when you don't plan on shopping! But, I needed those items so it feels good to be able to cross them off the list.

After going through the market, we returned home. I had lunch at her house again. Her father cooked this time. He is a good cook! He made Pasta Siciliana, pasta with tomatoes and eggplant. Then for the second course we had sausage, zucchini, carrots, and peppers. And about 6 hours later they made me a sandwich with cheese, ham and zucchini.





I left their house tired, stuffed and full of bags. I had my purchases plus my doggie bag and a purse Imma gave me. Now, I am exhausted. I forgot to mention that I had also gotten up early today to go running. The allergies were awful but I was still able to run a few laps. Well I will write more soon! The holiday weekend isn't over yet! :)