Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Buona Pasqua

This Easter I spent in Sicily with relatives. It was my first time in Sicily during Easter! It was a great visit.

I arrived on Holy Thursday. It was sunny and warm! Perfect weather! I arrived early in the morning just in time for breakfast. They had pastries waiting for me. I got to chose between cream filled or ricotta filled. Of course I wanted to try both so I had half of each. They were both delicious but the ricotta filled was exquisite! As I was eating it, I was thinking of all my Italian family in America and how they would love to be eating what I was eating at that moment!

Ricotta is on the left, cream is on the right
After breakfast, I went for a walk with one of my relatives to go shopping. She had run a few errands and after eating those pastries I needed a walk! After the walk, we prepared lunch. I wasn't hungry yet I enjoyed everything on my plate! After lunch, I was falling asleep. The night before I spent packing and doing other odds and ends around the house that I didn't go to sleep until 1:30am. And, I woke up at 5:30 am. I told my relatives this and to excuse my sleepiness. They insisted I take a nap and I did, a good 3 hour nap! :) I woke up just in time for dinner! :)

Broccoli and Cheese 
Tomato and Mozzarella
Broccoli and Cheese
After dinner, we went out. But, we didn't go out out, instead we went to 6 churches! Yes, I know! I think it was a record for me, the most churches visited in one night! It wasn't actual mass, instead it was to see how the church was decorated for Holy Thursday, the Last Supper. In Naples they do the same thing because my boss was telling me about it. The day before the children during school go to the church and bring what looks like grass to the front of the church. Well, I found out they do the same thing in Sicily and it is custom to go to many churches to view all the different displays.

First Church
First church
2nd Church
2nd church
Third church
Fourth church
Fifth church
On Good Friday, we ate. Well, everyday we ate! I think I helped run some errands and helped in the kitchen, can't remember exactly. In the afternoon, we went to visit some family in a nearby town. The person we originally intended on meeting wasn't home so instead we went to the beach since it was such a beautiful day! After the beach, we decided to visit some relatives I tried visiting in September but weren't home during that visit. They happened to be home this time so we visited them. It was a nice visit. I even put my mom on Skype so she could speak to them. Again, technology is such a beautiful thing! :) Afterwards, we visited another family before arriving home in time for dinner! :) In the evening  or during the day, I'm not sure which, there is a procession. I heard about it but we didn't go. It is another Easter tradition in Italy.














Saturday morning, we went grocery shopping to stock up since stores would be closed on Easter Sunday and Monday. Afterwards, they prepared food! Everyday was spent in the kitchen! They kept saying, all your friends and family in America are going to think all we do is eat! Well it is true :) That evening, we had friends over and ate Sicilian pizza "Sfincione." We had a good evening.

The sun disappeared 
Easter pastries
Sfincione















sfincione
no explanation needed :)
Apple Torte















Easter morning we went to Easter mass. The church was decorated nicely with some flowers but overall, it wasn't overly decorated as in America. The mass was simple, only a priest, no alter servers, and no musicians. It was much different than in America but I liked the simplicity of it. After mass, we returned home and got ready for Easter lunch. We ate a lot and decided not to eat dinner. :)






Lasagna

Meat in the shape of Sicily!


Easter cake
Homemade Sicilan Cassata















Pasquetta, Easter Monday, was spent at another relative's house. It was her son's 9th birthday. We went there for lunch and stayed until the evening. Pasquetta, generally is spent outside in the campagna with friends and family for a picnic/bbq. We had a similar version but inside with insalata di riso and grilled sausage. We ate and then hung out. Oh and ate pizza for dinner :)
AHH SUN! I love thee!

Insalata di Riso
Salad-fennel, tomatoes, and lettuce
Sicilian Sausage
Rice krispie cake


Toy Story themed Birthday Party

It was the first time besides the day prior that I had really spent much time with this particular relative and her family. It was also the first time that I could have a real conversation in Italian with anyone as well. Prior, I only knew some Italian. But, now after spending 6 months in Italy, my Italian had improved. It was the real first test since I speak English most of the time at home. In Sicily, I am forced to speak Italian since they can't speak English. I was proud of myself because I left my Italian/English dictionary at home on purpose. I had my computer so we could translate words if needed but it wasn't necessary. My relatives were impressed with my improvement as well. They kept telling friends and other relatives that we were speaking without the dictionary or computer. :) It was a nice feeling. I can't speak Italian fluently or grammatically correct but people were able to understand me and that is what counts! But, I was able to bond with this particular relative and her husband. I was told today that they enjoyed my company yesterday and were glad to get to know me. :)

I was also impressed with my Italian as I used it today in a non-relative setting. This morning before I left for home, I went to the "comune" (city hall) to find more information in regards to my family history. I love genealogy and since this whole experience is about me finding my roots, I thought it was only necessary. I spoke in my wonderful Italian with the most patient woman at the comune. I told her everything I needed and I was able to understand everything she said. I found out a lot of useful information and new information in regards to my family. It was such an exciting experience! I left the comune very happy and to top it off, the sun was shining bright! We passed by the beach again and I had to stop and take pictures because it was just so beautiful!





Overall, I was fully impressed with my Italian. It is still awful but I was able to understand even more and communicate at a level where I could have a conversation with someone. I had deep conversations too! It was a good experience for me! I am excited to go back and be able to speak even better!