Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The beginning of Christmas and Winter!

December has arrived! The countdown to Christmas has begun! It is a very exciting and fun time for me! I love this period. Unfortunately, the weather has started to show signs of winter. And in Naples, that is having rain for two weeks nonstop! Mamma Mia! It rains cats and dogs! It rains sideways, front ways and back ways... I have been caught in it far too many times and I end up being drenched and soaked for the entire day. I am ready for it to be over with! :) And, I know it has only just begun! So in the mean time, I am continuing to take my vitamins and eat as much vitamin C as possible. I can't get sick! 

Here is my defense for any colds...

Speaking of food. Surprisingly enough, that hasn't stopped. Shocking, I know! You will see below pictures from this past Sunday. Although, I wanted to share the napkins Ipolita had at her house...they say "Buon Appetito"! I thought it would go nicely with all the food pictures :) So Buon Appetito!
 The start of Sunday's lunch at Ipolita's mother in law's house....Starting with Antipasti...






Then the first dish: Genovese. This is pasta with onions. Her mother in law made it especially for us. I had never had it and since I love onions they insisted that I had to try it....and boy was it good! :) It reminded me of a pot roast flavor but with a lot of onions. 
 The meat that was in the pot while cooking the onions for the Genovese dish...which was like pot roast. I was very excited for this because I haven't had a pot roast in forever, seriously, many years! I had even mentioned it to my mother that I wanted her to make me one when I come home next...But I got it early! 

 This is the Neapolitan broccoli- Friarelli - kind of bitter but I have grown to like it very much!

 Her mother in law also made artichokes....delicious!
Salad 

Lupini beans
 Fruit
 Dessert: Pastiera and Cheesecake. Her mother in law made the Pastiera and I made the cheesecake. 


The Christmas Spirit has arrived at school! Isn't the tree very pretty! 

My students' are also in the Christmas spirit! I found this drawn on the whiteboard before class started. My ten and eleven year olds are quite talented :) 

Well, as you have seen the food doesn't stop! Christmas is approaching, which only means one thing...more food and family! Enjoy the season!