Friday, May 4, 2012

1 Maggio Festeggiare

This year I celebrated May Day, also known as International Worker's Day, in Calabria. The last time I was in Calabria, I was 13 years old and we only drove through it without stopping. So technically, this was my first trip to Calabria.

My friend Imma invited me to go with her and her friends to Calabria. I decided to go but we didn't leave until Monday evening after she finished work. We took the train to Calabria. It was an experience. We arrived at the train station and I had one bag because we were only staying 1 day. The other two girls had two bags each plus their purse. Mamma Mia! :) We bought our tickets then waited for the train. We had a snack in the mean time because it was going to be a 3 hour journey. As the time approached we went to the train. The train was packed. We walked up and down the different wagons looking for three seats together. We also smelt many unpleasant smells in the course of finding seats. We finally found three seats together. We took pictures and talked for a couple of hours. During the last hour, my friend decided to strike up a conversation with the guy I was sitting next to, a guy from Bangladesh. The train was filled with foreigners and their carts full of fake accessories. The guy next to me sold sunglasses. They were all fascinated to talk to us. In the course of the conversation we also met a guy from Senegal. They were friendly and even told my friend where they live and work/sell their products. I was a little skeptical because it was the three of us girls and a bunch of foreign guys. I was relieved when we got off the train plus the air smelled much better.

View on the train
The other two guys were already there so they picked us up at the train station. It was already late and dark but we went towards the sea. We walked around the little square where they were selling local products and candy. They also had a band playing rock music. It was nice. We walked up and down the shore, too.

Afterwards, we went out to eat. It was late but we had to eat. I had a vegetable pizza.

After we ate, we went for a walk in the same town as the restaurant. As we were walking the guys kept saying something about 9 crosses. I had no idea what they were talking about. All I knew is that there was this wind tunnel from the train and one of the guys in our group had visited this site before. And then the next thing I know, we are there. But, the road was blocked off. So we walked to the site. It was dark and creepy. There was no one in sight and there were a lot of trees. I kept thinking it was a scene in a horror film. I felt this way before I was told that we were going to where 9 people had died, hence the 9 crosses. I wasn't in favor of continuing to the site but I wasn't going to stay by myself by the car either. We continued walking and came to an area with 9 crosses and a gate. Thank goodness for the gate because otherwise we would have walked through a really spooky tunnel at night! We waited and waited but no train went by so they couldn't feel the wind from the train. We walked back to the car. I walked quite fast :)

Afterwards, we returned to the city where we were staying and walked through its town. It was a quaint town and seemed very picturesque at night so I am sure it was beautiful during the day. As we walked they were talking about getting dessert. The traditional cornetto with nutella. I, personally, have found that the cornetto (croissant) is too heavy for me at night and I don't prefer it. So when they asked if I wanted gelato I said "Si"! I ate my gelato and we continued our walk. We returned to the car and headed for the beach.
We made it to the beach and we put our feet in the water. It was cold but it was peaceful and relaxing. The moon was shining bright and the reflection was sparkling on the water. The sky was full of stars as well. It was very pleasant.



We headed home afterwards but not before stopping at the little bakery up on the hill. It reminded me of a Swiss building. It felt very quaint and homey. The others got their pastry with nutella while I watched the guys baking bread and other delectables at 2:30 am.

We arrived home and I went to bed shortly after we arrived. The others stayed up to take showers. When we first arrived though, my friend said "where is the shower?" because we saw the bathroom and noticed no shower. My friend almost had a panic attack. Then her friend directed her to the back part of the house, to the little garden, where there was a shower outside with no doors. It was just you and nature. Luckily the neighbors weren't home otherwise they would have gotten a free show :) It was  an interesting experience when I used the shower the next day. It was daylight so I could see all around me. There was a mountain to the right, as well as the neighbor's back yard, trees and shrubs in front of me including a lemon/orange tree and neighbors to the left but they had a good size wall that blocked them from seeing anything. It was probably the fastest shower I had ever taken while still trying to soak up the experience of taking a shower with nature.

The view from the outside shower :)
The next day, May 1st, we woke up slowly but got moving to go to the beach. We ate the traditional breakfast outside on the patio. The view was breathtaking. The house was situated on a hill so it overlooked the city and the mountains and the sea. It was a beautiful day. We got ready and headed out. We stopped at a grocery store first to get some sandwiches. You chose the bread and then give the bread to the people behind the counter and they make the sandwich for you with the kind of meat and cheese that you would like. They had a lot of fish in the display as well. You could tell we were near the sea! While we were in the grocery store I noticed chocolate corn flakes. I stopped and thought OMG. I took a picture of you all to see.















Afterwards, we headed to a town nearby. Apparently the beach was better there. Along the way, we could see Jesus. Jesus was situated on top of a mountain overlooking the sea. It was similar to Rio's Jesus.

I don't think you can see Jesus but the statue is on that mountain
We arrived to the beach and it was gorgeous. The sand was black but wasn't sand. They were little stones but they didn't hurt your feet. They were soft and smooth. Throughout the day though, those little black stones got very hot and burnt my feet!

I went into the water almost immediately after we arrived but the water was so cold! I felt I had to lay in the sun and get hot before I could attempt to go back into the water. I did go into the water many times though. Every time it was cold but with each time that I went in the water seemed to get more tolerable. I enjoyed floating the best because I would find warm spots. Floating was refreshing as well. I would just lay on my back and look up at the blue sky. I thought about when I first learned how to float. I was probably around 6, mom you can correct me, and we were in Florida in my grandparent's pool. I was in the shallow end because I had to be able to stand up in case I started to sink even though my dad was in the pool protecting me. He taught me how to float. It was fun to think about the past and all the good memories I have. My friend saw me floating and she said I looked like a dead person. She said that is what they say in Italian. But, she didn't know how to float so I told her what to do.

During the day at the beach, I applied the 50+ SPF twice. It seemed to work. I still have many freckles but not the painful red sunburn. We also walked over to the grotto and took pictures. It was pretty and I even felt like the little mermaid while sitting on the rocks.

After spending around 5+ hours at the beach, we headed back to town. We walked along the cute and quaint path we had walked the night before. This time, there were many people out and about. We stopped and got gelato again as well. I also got my souvenirs. Calabria is known for their chili peppers. So I bought some to use for cooking. As we were walking we also stumbled upon a stage with people playing music. They had a DJ but also locals who performed. On our way back there were some little boys with instruments in their hands. One had an accordion and the next thing I know polka music is being played. :) It was fun. Apparently, in all or most cities in Italy, they have concerts for the people on May 1st.


We retuned home to get ready to leave. As I waited for everyone else, I stood outside looking at the view. A helicopter flew over my head and went towards the sea. I thought to myself where is it going to land. Then it was over the water and it was picking up water. I guess there was a fire somewhere. It was fascinating to watch since I had never seen it in real life before. After we all got ready we headed for the restaurant for dinner. We went to a near by town by the sea for fresh seafood. Every one raved about the food but I was the child of the evening and had turkey with potatoes.

On our way home, I sat in the front seat because I had problems with nausea prior with all the curves. I fell asleep almost immediately for about 20 minutes or so. Then I woke up and tried to stay awake. We were listening to music. The next thing I know, the two guys are singing old Neapolitan songs at the top of their lungs. My friend was sleeping in the back seat but when O SOLE MIO was sung, she woke up quickly. We had quite the operatic voices in that car! We also sang Volare and Funiculi, Funicula, among others. It was very fun. After their concert, I was treated to a private viewing of fireworks. Directly in front of us was a wonderful display of fireworks. They were beautiful, colorful and big! I knew my camera wouldn't do it justice so I didn't search for my phone instead I just sat and enjoyed watching the beautiful sight. Later during the car ride home, Superman made an appearance. The video is hilarious and I hope to get a copy of it. But, one of the guys was sitting behind me and the next thing I know he is doing the Superman pose outside of my window. It was hilarious. I think we were all slap happy because shortly after we fell asleep. Then I woke up and we were almost home. The music was blaring to Vasco Rossi and the driver was singing at the top of his lungs. I fully understand what was going on because I do the same thing when I drive. If it is late and I am getting tired I turn the music up loud and perform a concert for all to hear in order to stay awake.

I arrived home around 2am. I went to sleep and woke up a few hours later for work. I was tired but it was worth it. I had a great 36 hours or so with friends and the beautiful weather and scenery in Calabria. Thank you to all!