Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Great Adventure...

Today was an adventure for me. I knew it was going to be a good day from the moment I woke up this morning. I decided since everyone was busy today that I would visit the Reggia di Caserta (The Royal Palace).

I planned initially to go by myself. But, then I saw that a friend online on Facebook. We had been trying to make plans to meet up for months so I thought to ask her what she was doing today. She liked the idea and decided to meet me at the Palace.

I took the train from Acerra to Caserta. As I waited for the train at the station, I realized that there weren't any Italians waiting for the train. They were all foreigners. It makes sense actually because, in Italy, every one eats lunch with their families on Sunday. They aren't hopping the train to go exploring, like I was.

I arrived in Caserta and thought that the Palace should be near. I started walking and BAM, I found tourists! I knew I was in the right area! ;) Then I saw the huge palace. It is kind of hard to miss...



I walked towards the palace. I saw a view that I liked so I took a picture. Then I saw these carriages. I thought they were cute. 

When I went to buy my ticket I was still undecided if I was going to go through the interior of the palace or just the palace grounds. I decided last minute just the park. I thought I would get a discount but unfortunately I just missed the cut off age....getting old is awful! Nah, just kidding! I love getting older and wiser :) 

As I was waiting in line, I recognized an American. I usually can identify Americans right away because they look like me! So I started talking to him. The next thing I know, I am visiting the park with this wonderful couple and their 13 month old son. It was a very pleasant visit with them. We walked a lot too! My legs are going to be sore tomorrow! 







One of our conversations led to Girl Scout cookies...I wonder how that happened. Food is always on my mind! As we were talking about it, some Italian Boy Scouts passed by. I think they were having a picnic since one of the boys had his Napoli team lunch box in his hand. I saw them hours later outside of the palace with the same things in their hands...they must have been on a long adventure too!

The hike was great for the views. The pictures don't do the park justice. It is huge! At the end of the park is a huge waterfall. I found out afterwards that there was an English garden near there but didn't realize it plus I didn't have time to visit it. I guess I will just have to go again!


My friend arrived later at the park and we went on some excursions, side paths, and explored. This was a view we found. It reminded me of my road in America, the canopy of trees and the dirt path. 

Funny story here. There was a fountain so we wanted to take pictures of it. But there were people standing in the way. We waited and waited for them to move so we could take a picture of it. Finally they did and we took their place. Shortly after we decided to take a picture next to a statue. It just so happened to be the same statue the people were taking pictures at. And, we waited again....but wasn't it worth it? :) 


It was such a hot day! The sun wasn't shining bright but it was warm! After walking for 3 hours around the park I was ready for some cool air. I had said earlier how I chose to go to the park because I wanted to be outside in the nice weather. But afterwards, I thought maybe I should have revisited that decision when I spotted the entrance to see the interior of the palace. It was refreshing because of all the marble. Mental note to self: go to the park in the morning and the palace in the afternoon! :) But really, it wasn't that bad. I had a great day outside :) 


After walking all day my legs are a little tired but I feel great emotionally. I was feeling a little down earlier today but after meeting all my new friends my spirits lifted right up! Thank you to those who made my day GREAT! :) And, Happy Mother's Day to all the mother's out there!