Thursday, January 19, 2012

Taking action

Last week, I was teaching a class. It wasn't my regular class but a higher level. Sometimes, my boss and I switch classes to give her class more conversation practice and my class gets help in grammar by having an Italian translation and explanation that I can't give.

So I was speaking to her class. The class is made up of mostly teenagers in high school. We were speaking about school and they informed me that they didn't go to school that day. I asked why and they said that they were on strike. I was shocked. I didn't know teenagers could go on strike especially against their high school. They informed me that the headmaster (principal) had decided not to let the students go on the annual trip, therefore they were protesting.

Yes, a protest over a trip. And, they informed me that they would strike as long as it took for the headmaster to change his mind. They told me that in the past students would protest for many days, almost a month until they got what they wanted. I asked them if this was a private school and they said it was a public school. I asked if they were going to school the next day and they said no, well yes to stand outside and protest. I also asked if they had full support from the student body. They said all but a few were in participation of the protest. I was impressed.

Apparently, this is a common thing in Italy. It seems like such a foreign idea since I don't recall such action taking place in America's high schools. I only recall being threatened that we wouldn't graduate if we all participated in the traditional "Senior Skip Day." And we were all too scared to follow through with the tradition. I remember when I first arrived and my boss and I were picking up her daughter after school. Her daughter said that she had a test the following day and that her class was going to protest. She said they protest by not going to school when they have a test that they don't want. She is in middle school. Another student told me once that they didn't go to school because their teacher had given them too much homework and/or exams and they were protesting. I was very shocked to hear all of this and at such a young age!

In defense of the homework/tests protest, I have seen how much homework these children get each night. They get a lot more than I had ever gotten in school. In one week, each student has around 10 different classes, 7-8 in one day. Each class gives them homework and none of these classes are enrichment or sports related. Sports actually is not a priority. First, they don't have the space but even then it isn't taken seriously. My boss' daughter told me that in her gym class they were playing volleyball and the ball flew towards the teacher, who was wearing high heel shoes, and in turn hid from the ball. I asked if there was any certification needed to be a gym teacher and they all thought nothing was needed. I was imagining how in America to be a gym teacher you have to have a physical education degree or some sort of certification at least!

Anyways, I am truly impressed with these students and their notion that taking action and protesting for change is normal. I asked a few days ago how the protest was going. Apparently, the headmaster did give in to the students and signed the paper allowing the students to go on their annual trip. The strike lasted one week. Amazing.

Correction: Gym teachers do need a degree in order to teach gym class.