Thursday, January 26, 2012

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

I wanted to take this time to thank my grandpa for everything. If it wasn't for him, I would not be here right now on this exciting journey.

My grandpa was always outgoing, starting conversations with strangers, opening his heart for all. He was definitely a people person. Everyone who knew my grandpa loved him. In his family, he was respected and loved by all. And in turn loved everyone very much. He would make sure his family had every opportunity to enrich their lives somehow. He encouraged the children to push the pencil not the broom. He always wanted his family to have the best. He came from Sicily during the 1930s. He had experienced the hardship in Sicily and wanted his family to have more than what Italy offered during those times. A better life.

Now, I have come full circle. I am not in Sicily but I am back in Italy. It is a different era than when my grandpa lived here but I am still experiencing the same culture that he did. I am thankful that my grandpa came to America. He allowed his children, my mother, to have better opportunities in life. My mother passed those opportunities down to me and now I can say that I am educated, well rounded, have experienced other cultures, and I am living a very wonderful life!

I was able to fulfill my dreams and continue dreaming thanks to my grandpa. Thank you for everything you have given me. I know you are watching over me now and smiling. Love you and miss you lots. Thanks again. I really do appreciate everything!