Monday, June 4, 2012

Summer in the Mountains

This past weekend started with a night of dancing at a club near Naples. It is situated on a beach :) That particular night, there was a group playing at the club called Shermanology. They were good. We had a little adventure getting there but all in all we had a good time! I didn't get home until 4am! Thanks for taking me Simona!





I woke up in the morning at 10am. Ipolita called me at 11am and asked if I wanted to go to the mountains. I haven't been there since winter. I decided last minute to go and got ready in 10 minutes. Then we were off to the mountains. 


Everything was green and full! I love summer! Plants were in bloom too so there was some added color to the scenery. Peas and fava beans were in season. We picked them from the garden. :)



Nature was out and about and loving the weather as well. I saw birds, bees, hummingbirds, and many colorful butterflies. There were white, yellow, orange, brown and blue butterflies flittering around. 


For lunch we had fresh peas with pasta. yum yum!


After lunch, Michelangelo served us Sambuca con mosca (Sambuca with flies) but really they are just coffee beans, no worries ;) Then we sat out in the sun and took peas out of the pea pods. 


Afterwards, we went into town to get some food. We found a florist as well. Beautiful!



The shop owner was wondering why I was taking pictures of his plums and cherries, but Ipolita explained that I was her American friend who liked to take a lot of pictures ;) 


The plums were so colorful and tasty!



For dinner we had crostini with provoletta and speck. This is the provoletta. Mom, is this the cheese you said your father would always buy?


After dinner, we had dessert. We made a fire and roasted marshmallows from America. We made s'mores. A first for many, I think. 


After dessert, we went outside to try to see lightning bugs. While we were outside we saw many stars too. We saw the Moon, Mars, Saturn, Pluto, the Big Dipper, Little Dipper and many other stars. 


On Sunday, we woke up and had breakfast. Afterwards we got ready for the day. We went to the cheese lady's house to buy some ricotta and eggs. On the way to the cheese lady's house we saw a hawk pick up a snake and carry it into the air. I shut my eyes. We were all a little edgy after that. Then a neighbor came and tilled the garden. We all went out to watch ;) 


We ate lunch and then enjoyed the fresh air outside. For lunch we had pasta bolognese, lamb, salad, ricotta and olives. It was very tasty and filled me up!






On the way home, I was able to finally take pictures since the sun set later. These are a few pictures from the car ride home. 





The eggs and ricotta we got. Aren't the baby eggs cute :) The cheese is delicious in case anyone was wondering :)



Overall, it was a great spontaneous weekend in the mountains. It was beautiful and I enjoyed being with nature. I felt like I was back home. Thanks again Ipolita!