Saturday, June 9, 2012

Italian High Schools

I am really late with this post but about a month and a half ago I went to an Italian high school. It was a good size but definitely smaller than our high schools in America because they didn't have extra rooms for extra curricular things. For example, there wasn't a gym, cafeteria, band room, library, or theater like my school had.

There were two floors with halls filled with simple classrooms and a few bathrooms. Then on the other side there were the administrative offices.

The classrooms were simple. White walls, a chalkboard and desks. There weren't any pictures or posters hanging up. Although one room I went into had geography maps and walls decorated in pen and pencil graffiti with vulgar sayings and drawings :)

Another significant aspect to the classroom was the cross hanging on the wall. Apparently most or if not all classrooms in Italy have the cross hanging on the wall. As a foreigner I asked myself if Italy was really a secular country. As much as they say they are I can definitely see the religious presence throughout the country. Apparently there was a case when a teacher took down the cross in a classroom and the students were in protest of the removal. Interesting.

The view from one of the classrooms

Another view

A park outside




Some of the lovely graffiti the students had drawn


The cross.