Sunday, March 25, 2012

Trattoria Nennella

Last night, I went out with the group, there were 10 of us. We went to a typical Neapolitan restaurant called "Trattoria Nennella." It is located away from the main road in a small alley. It is well known by the locals for serving traditional Neapolitan food as well as being insulted by the waiters. They only speak the Neapolitan language too. Although, our waiter spoke a few words in English to me :)

Our waiter's shirt
There were many people at the restaurant. Very popular! We arrived in two cars. The first car got there probably 30-40 minutes before we did to put our name down for a table. We arrived around 11. We didn't sit down until around 12. In the mean time though, there was a wine shop next to the restaurant and we got wine to hold us over until we sat down. :)

At 12:20am we started the antipasti with olives, provola, fried mozzarella, crocchette, salami, and prosciutto.

We had wine too!
Then we started on the first course, pasta. There were no menus. Only 3 selections to choose from. Pasta with potatoes and provola, pasta with seafood, or pasta and tomatoes. I had the pasta with potatoes and provola. I was told it is a traditional Neapolitan dish. I also can tell that this dish is definitely a comfort food dish. I think I have to add it to my comfort food list!

Afterwards, there was a second course, but I was too full to eat anything. Others ate pork, sausage and french fries. But, I noticed they squeezed lemon on to the meat. I was partially shocked because I had never seen that before, only on fish. Interesting.

After the meat comes the fruit. But, for some reason the fruit bowl was not in a fruit bowl but a plastic smaller version of a toilet bowl. We were all full but they insisted in showing me how they prepare the banana. If you think about it, you can probably figure out what they do with a banana. They wanted me to post the video so here it is.

Overall, it was a fun experience and it made that much more fun being with a group of people.