Sunday, November 11, 2012

One word. Happy.

This weekend was one word. Happy. I typed happy into my iTunes to find "happy" songs to listen to while I wrote this post. One of my favorite songs came on from the soundtrack of Happy Feet, "Song of the Heart." While I listened to it, I wished I had brought the DVD with me to Italy....I will have to bring it back with me next time I go home. But, anyways enough of that. I'm writing about my weekend not about an animated film. 

Yesterday, I went with Ipolita and her family to Naples in search of drapes for her new house. Unfortunately, businesses in Naples don't take into consideration that people work during the week and are only able to shop during the weekend. So all the shops were closed. On our way home, they decided to stop at Ikea (only my favorite store in the entire world) and look for material there. I was like a little kid when we walked in the store. I told Ipolita I was very happy! :) 

As we walked through the store, I filled up my shopping bag without a problem. We were walking towards the checkout counters and there they were, 10-12 huge stands shining and sparkling from afar....the CHRISTMAS Section! :) As soon as I saw the Christmas trees, I turned to Ipolita and said like a little kid seeing Santa Claus, "OOOOH LOOK! CHRISTMAS!!" I was too excited. We were looking at the decorations and then Ipolita said "oh look you can get a Christmas tree in a bag." I know she was joking but I looked at the price and thought "why not?" I thought a few seconds more and decided I needed a tree. I won't be home until Christmas Eve to see our tree at home, so this way I can celebrate during the entire Christmas season! I quickly ran and got some ornaments and beads to put on the tree since they were already in line. 

Afterwards in the car, Ipolita's daughter asked when I was going to put up the tree, they assumed in a few weeks I think. I said "maybe tonight if we're lucky." They laughed and probably believed me since they know me so well. 

I came home, unwrapped, put together and put away all the items I got from Ikea. Then I opened the bag with the tree and started to put it together. I put Christmas music on so it would be "official." 







I am very happy for the Christmas tree. The Christmas season makes me so happy. It is a magical time and I love it! Every time I look at the tree I smile and my heart fills with joy. To some people, it is just a tree and it doesn't mean anything. But to me, it represents a wonderful time, a time full of peace, love, and joy. It represents family and friends. Some of my greatest memories were during the Christmas season with my family. Some people say it is too early to put a tree up but for me, why should we wait to celebrate such a wonderful season. Bring on the love! 

Today, I went to a friend's house for lunch. His mother was very happy to see me. She told me she was glad to have me over since I don't have any family here in Italy.  And then she welcomed me to be with her family for Sunday lunch, the day for family to be together. 

This is what we ate...


wonderful wine! (like the wine topper?) 

Lasagna

Zucchini

Zucchini

Bread

Eggplant

Skewers of meat and sausage and salad

Chestnuts

Fruit

I was with Naples fans! :) 

Can you tell!? The mascot for Naples is a donkey....

This is a traditional cake from Torre del Greco. It's name is Sciu (pronounced shoe). Very good! :)

This was a chocolate nut candy bar that was wonderful!


I definitely ate a lot. The food was delicious. We had a great time. Thank you!

Overall this weekend was just what the Christmas spirit is all about....joy, family, celebrating and eating delicious food! ;)