Monday, November 14, 2011

My first experience at an Italian hospital

Yes, I went to the hospital today. And, not to visit anyone. I needed treatment. Yesterday, while I was at Linda's house, I hit my head on a window in the bathroom. I keep thinking about it and I don't know how I could have not seen the window, but I admit it I 'm not the most coordinated person on earth. I have had my fair share of run ins with walls, doors, windows, and floors. For some reason they like to attack me. I don't know why. I've never done anything to them. But, anyways, as soon as it happened I had a sharp pain. I knew it might get worse so I immediately took an ibuprofen and felt ok for the rest of the day. As it got later into the night, I started to feel pain again. Once I got home, I took another pill but my head was still hurting really bad. I woke up this morning and I can't remember if I took one or not. I went to school to meet Linda for lunch and it was still partially hurting, mostly in other places on my head not where I had initially hit my head. We went to her boyfriend's parent's house for lunch. We joked last night and somehow we found out that I liked meatballs so his mom was going to make me meatballs today for lunch. So we went there for lunch. We had pasta and sauce then meatballs and salad. It was all very good. I wasn't feeling too much pain either which helped. But as the afternoon continued on my head started to get worse and worse. I arrived back at school and told Ipolita that it was worse. She said that she would cover my class and that Linda would take me to the hospital. Luckily for me the hospital was just a few feet from the school.

We entered the building. Other people were waiting. There was a buzzer and we waited for someone to open the door. Finally, we got someone and they put our name on the list. We were next or second to next on the list. We waited. As we waited, I saw two separate ambulances drive in and bring people in. One person I saw had a neck brace on and tomato sauce on her shoulder. I'm thinking something happened in either making or cleaning up after the meal. We waited about 30 minutes then finally we were allowed to go back. We had to wait for an empty bed. We walked into the room and the doctor (maybe nurse) felt my head and pressed on it. He said something in Italian and the next thing I know this other girl comes in and sticks a needle in my butt. They said it was to calm me. I am assuming a muscle relaxer. Then Linda left me to register me. Afterwards, she comes back and says that I need to sign something. She took my coat and purse from the room as we went to sign the forms. Then she is telling me to put my coat on. I thought, wait, that is it. It took two minutes. I didn't even use the bed that we were waiting for! Anyways, the doctor just said to take ibuprofen twice a day for 3 days. I hope that it will feel better. Overall, I felt the facility was clean and there was order, no chaos. Even though, he didn't take any scans I felt he did what doctors in America would do. We wait forever then we are told we are finished in two minutes and charge us a fortune. Instead in Italy they do the same thing but it is free. :) I walked out not as angry or frustrated as I do in America partly because I didn't have to pay anything.

 As, I write this my head still hurts. I really do hope the pain will go away soon. Prayers are appreciated. Thank you :)